Low Carbon Development
ClimaSouth activities on mitigation/low carbon development are in line with UNFCCC provisions and guidelines and the new climate agreement achieved in Paris. They include:
Increasing GHG emissions reporting capacity with Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV/GHG)
- Capacity building based on an assessment of existing institutions and best practices to increase GHG emission reporting, and mitigation modelling and analysis.
- Capacity building to reinforce appropriate institutional settings on MRV of GHG emissions, focusing on requirements/protocols at sector and activity level and related consulting/advisory services for the collection and management of data on GHG emissions
- Technical assistance to develop MRV tools such as protocols and indicators
- Strengthening GHG emission data management.
Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) and Low Emission Development Strategies (LEDS)
- Identification, selection and development of credible and environmentally sound NAMA portfolios on the basis of analytical work done in the various key sectors.
- Targeted technical assistance for the development of 3 national pilot NAMAs ready for implementation (financing to be addressed through the climate financing project component).
- Training on the purpose and content of LEDS and their linkage with the National Climate Change Strategies and the development of greener national economies.
- LEDS formulation associated with the development and implementation of pilot NAMAs and other mitigation measures conducted at the national level.
Emissions reduction estimations
- Analysis of the 3 connected GHG work topics: GHG inventory reporting and low carbon options and scenarios: LEDS & NAMAs identification & formulation and CO2eq emission reduction estimates from the 3 pilot NAMAs .
- Training for CO2eq emission reduction estimation of LEDS and pilot NAMAs.
ClimaSouth products & activities
The following key products and activities have been implemented by the project :
- Good practice for Greenhouse Gas inventories in South Mediterranean countries.
- Greenhouse Gas modelling /LEAP training.
- Greenhouse Gas Modelling Seminar.
- Regional Seminar on Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs).
- Regional Seminar on Low Emission Development Strategy (LEDS).
- ClimaSouth Handbook N. 3: An Introduction to Greenhouse Gas Inventories and MRV.
- ClimaSouth Handbook N. 4: Long-range Energy Alternatives Planning System (LEAP) & Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Modelling.
- ClimaSouth Handbook N. 5: Low-Emission Development Strategy (LEDS).